|...ahh Anchored off Virginia Key....|
Leg 2 will be a 100 nm run from Bimini to West Bay on the island of New Providence. We have no plans to go to Nassau. Then on Wed it is flat calm, so we will run the last day for a 50 nm leg to reach the Exumas which are 200 nm East of Miami. Once we reach there, the courses are now south and with NE and E winds, we can actually sail as we push south. On Saturday, Feb 11, a major front is predicted to arrive with winds at 30 to 35 knots from the North. We will need to figure out a place to be safe with that front. That is why we have a 55 lb ROCNA anchor and all chain. It has always held our boat securely on anchor.
Here is a map of the plan...
|Our plan to go: Miami to Bimini to West Bay to Exumas ASAP|
|One more rigging piece:|
"The Freddie", a stay sail Barber Hauler! Works Great!
|Reviewing how to get there on our new B & G|
Here are some photos of the week
|Of course, a rental car to Costco, load up!|
|Chaos of driving I-95....NUTS|
|Coco Walk Starbucks, we love this place|
|Testing new B&G NAV gear and Autopilot|
|4 diesel jugs, two to port, two to starboard|
|Radeen making great meals on Island Spirit, This is Mediterranean Chicken.|
|We met new I 32 Wingward owner, Alex, with his captain Allen for lunch at Lokal.|
Thank you, Alex, for a great lunch and a fun visit! Good luck with your boat!
L to R: Hayden, Radeen, Capt Allen and IP owner, Alex
|We always tune the standing rigging before we hit the ocean|
|Radeen had to buy a new mixing elbow to have on board for change out in the Caribbean.|
Ours is 2.5 years old.
|Sailing Biscayne Bay, about 20 Melges racers on a practice leg|
NOW, FOR THE WEATHER JUNKIES....
The situation is this. The Exumas are 200 nm EAST of Miami. The Gulf Stream, 5-8 miles off Miami, flows north at 3 knots. Any wind from the NORTH kicks up the stream into 6-10 foot waves. So sailors wait until the winds die down or until go any direction without a northerly component. We have that coming Super Bowl Sunday so we will take it. Sadly the wind is from the EAST and we need to push east 50 NM to reach Bimini. Then Wed it goes flat calm, so we may wait a day and leave Tuesday running overnight into Wed to reach the next island of New Providence. There we anchor at West Bay. Then it is one more 50 nm day to Exumas. At that point, we can run south. So here are the winds and waves for a few of these days....Study up.
|This shows 1-2 meter waves off Miami|
|Wed we will be on the banks, it shows 0-0.5 meter waves|
|Sat, the winds are driving wave of 1-2 meters from the north|
|Sunday, winds are to be 5-10 from the east|
|Wed it shows 10 knot winds from the S|
OH NO!!!! As soon as we reach Exumas, it looks like we need to deal with this 20-25-30 knot north winds. Oh well, so it is....Get a BIG, BIG anchor!
|Sat this is showing 20-30 knot North Winds!!!|
These GRIB files from from the web site
|Sunset off Virginia Key looking back at the Coconut Grove skyline|