After a day at Block Island and a connection with our good sailing friend Blaine Parks, we three departed Block Island at 0530hrs for a direct run for Cape May NJ, CM NJ. We should arrive CMNJ Wed around 4-6pm if the winds and seas are nice to us. Once there, we will take a rest day and beach day at Utches Marina and then run the Delaware Bay for the C&D to our home town of Rock Hall, MD.
The run from Block to CMNJ is 204 miles on a course of 240 degrees. That is South West SW and the winds here are usually SW, but today they were NW at 15 and now they are W at 5-10, so the seas are flat and we are motorsailing at 6 knots. The forecast is for backing winds to SOUTH and building 10-15, the issue will be when and then as Wed night approaches they will build to 15 with gust to 20 and the seas will come up.
So, we are pushing to get into CMNJ before this builds, but it is all a matter of timing and we can only run at 6 knots. We can sail at 7 knots but need 15-20 knots and NOT SW winds.
Then on Sat/Sun we have hurricane IRENE to deal with and we plan to get out of CMNJ running north to the Chesapeake Bay where we should be protected. This storm looks very serious and we have been very active on monitoring the development.
Photos and more to follow....we are currently 10 miles south of Montauk Point, NJ.