Friday, August 5, 2011

Isle au Haut, Acadia National Park 1

Island Spirit IP35 and Cutter Loose IP460 Isle au Haut
We departed Rockland Maine for the Island of Isle au Haut, part of Acadia National Park system and to connect with our good friends Eric and Patricia on www.CutterLoose.com the dream Island Packet 460 from our home port of Rock Hall, MD. We anchored in Duck Harbor on the west side in a narrow rock lined cove with pine trees rolling up the hills. In the Taft Cruising Guide, this is rated a #4 out of 5 so it is spectacular in its beauty. I keep taking photos and none of them look half as beautiful as this place is in real life. Everyone says there is something special about the light, the colors, the water,  this place, and we both have to agree, Maine is truly beautiful. Last night we had a wonderful meal aboard Cutter Loose and we enjoyed re-visiting with our good friends Eric and Patricia. Today, we plan to hike a few easy trails here and then sail over the Eggemoggin Reach for a wooden boat show.

Here are some photos, the best I can do, enjoy the beauty....

Eric and Patricia on Cutter Loose welcome us to Isle au Haut

Island Spirit anchored in 30 feet, high tide, look at the rocks. Tides 10'
Our view from the galley port, notice the tide dropping, look at the rocks!
Granite shores with beautiful sea grass and pine tree lined hiking trails
Duck Harbor Cove on Isle au Haut, Acadia National Park

A local cabin on the water, Isle au Haut
Well, that's it for now. I am nearly freezing here this AM. I get up at daybreak to blog, 5:30-6:00, it is now 7:40, slow connections! The temperature here in the boat is 55 degrees. I have a fleece top and fleece pants on and socks and I am still COLD! Topside the boat is soaked with morning dew, the enclosure is fully covered with moisture. The tide is down and it looks like we could be up on the rocky shore, but I am in 25 feet of water! The anchor chain wakes you up as it grinds over the granite rocks on the sea floor. The 10 cups of coffee help me to warm up. When we head for the trails today....I will be taking my jacket! Brrrrrr

Have a great day! ACADIA IS B E A U T I F U L......

1 comment:

GregK said...

Beautiful pictures Hayden. I'll be happy to trade you some of my NC heat for your ME Chill!

Sounds like the bottom is real rocky... How is the anchoring in that rock? Does it set right away? How do you make sure that it's set and not just caught on a rock?

As always you guys are doing a great job sharing your adventure and I'm enjoying the heck out of it.